Wednesday, February 29, 2012

RIP Davy Jones


Davy Jones, the lead singer of the Monkees, died Wednesday February 29, 2012 in Florida of a heart attack.  Jones was 66.
Jones, third from left, with The Monkees

Jones joined the Monkees in 1965.  He rose to fame shortly after he joined the band, the Monkees, which was originally formed for the U.S. television show. Jones sang lead vocals such as I Wanna be Free and Daydream Believer.

Though I was never able to see The Monkees live in my lifetime, I remember their popular songs being played in my parents house growing up.  The most had a high reverence in the Stewart household and The Monkees were often aligned with The Beatles, in order of importance.

My most vivid memories were rerun episodes of the Brady Bunch, where Jones played himself, and the episode originally aired in late 1971.  In the episode, Marcia Brady, president of the Davy Jones Fan Club, vows to get him to play at a school dance.

However, Jones' will most be remembered for his musical talent and contributions as a member of The Monkees and other solo projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment